[Persistence-sig] newbie on this list

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:41:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Stephan Diehl wrote:
> > I think there are two possible outcomes of this SIG:
> >
> > 1) we develop a persistence layer that's easy to understand; or,
> >
> > 2) we make ZODB's persistence layer easy to understand.
>
> are you talking about the usage of such a persistence layer or the inner
> workings? The usage of ZODB is nearly as easy as it can get.

I'm talking more about the inner workings.  ZODB is a black box to most
people.  It's easy to use, but as soon as people want to store something
other than pickles, they dismiss even the components of ZODB that don't
assume pickles, because it looks too hard to dive in.  We want to build
distinguishable components with clear contracts that fulfill a lot of
people's needs for object persistence.

> (snip)
>
> Woudn't it be nice to have at least a rudimentary query interface as well? (I
> know, it's not covered by this SIG). Somesting like
> getObjects(attr <string>, regExp <match string>)
> returns a list of objIds (or a list of objects).

It would be nice, but the task we're trying to achieve is already complex
enough.  Do you really want to use a regex on a million records? ;-)

> I'm still not sure where to begin? Should one have a look at the ZODB code?
> Or just post everything that comes to mind?

It's your call. Be creative. :-)

Shane