[Persistence-sig] getting started

Steve Menard smenard@bigfoot.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:58:00 -0400

At 09:15 AM 7/9/2002 -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>It looks like many of the people who expressed interest in the SIG
>have subscribed to the list, so we ought to get started.  I think we
>should begin with some introductions and a review of the SIG charter.
>
>Introductions: Please tell us about your interest in the persistence
>SIG, what personal/professional goals you have for it, and how much
>time & energy you have.  (Feel free to lurk if that's your preference.)

Well, better late than never.

I am professional programmer. I've been using python on and off for a few
years now. My main interest in this is so I can get ZODB-like functionality
without too much fuss.

I currently do not have a lot of time to devote, but as I will be in
recovery all of september, I can put some time into coding/testing.
Additonally, since I have a few projects waiting on just such functionality
(they are why I started POD http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/pypod ), I
will certainly be in a position to use whatever comes out of the SIG.

>Charter: Jim Fulton wrote the SIG charter.  A very brief summary is
>that we should:
>
>   - focus on transparency, transactions, and memory-caching issues;
>
>   - put off concurrency control, queries, and constraints;
>
>   - produce PEPs and, if there is consensus, code for the std library.

One small comment. Perhaps the single missing feature of ZODB (besides not
running on Python 2.2) is a query language. Furthermore, without adequate
support from the Storage classes, such a language will be very difficult to
tack on afterward.

         Steve