[Persistence-sig] getting started

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:38:49 -0400

At 02:50 PM 7/10/02 -0400, Steve Menard wrote:

>Yep. I can't help but agree on this. I think its possible to come up with
>a  common public interface for both mechanism. However, I doubt an object
>built for one model can be reused as-is in a different model.

If by "object", you mean "persistence mechanism/mapping", then I agree.

But, if by "object" you mean the object to be persisted, I disagree.  An
explicit goal of my recent work was to support transparent switching
between persistence *mechanisms* without any change to the objects which
were to be stored.  The only place I've been less than 100% successful
using the ZODB4 P&T packages, is with objects stored in more than one
back-end.  And even there, I can do it successfully as long as I don't need
lazy-loading of "non-object" attributes.  (By which I mean values I'd like
to have as simple strings or numbers, without subclassing them to create,
say, a PersistentInteger or PersistentString class.)