[portland] Recommendation for book to use in classroom?

Charles Anderson master.sparkle at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 06:22:10 CET 2009

Does anyone have a recommendation for a (text) book to use for teaching
Python to students who already know Java?  I'll be teaching a college class
in spring to students who have had at least 2 quarters of Java.  So, they
should be hip to the basics of programming - e.g., conditionals, iteration,
methods, classes, etc.  I'd like to focus on "more interesting" bits of
Python that are difficult or impossible in straight Java - e.g.,
introspection, duck-typing, possibly metaclasses.

thanks,
Charles.