[Pycon-interest] sprint

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Wed Dec 18 21:49:20 EST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:22:44PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Sprints for people with Python experience but no experience on a
> particular code base (e.g. Zope) can work if there's an introductory
> talk at the beginning.  This is how Jim Fulton does most Zope3
> sprints.  But that takes time away from sprinting (his intro was
> almost a full day at the recent sprint in Rotterdam).
>
> Sprints need focused projects that have been selected by more
> experienced developers ahead of time; you can't just get together
> without a plan and expect much to happen.

Sounds like words of experience. :-)

Would it make sense to have mini-classes throughout the conference?
I'd hate to sit down with each new person and have to teach, ssh, cvs,
sf (maybe roundup by march?), etc.

Perhaps we could have short classes/tutorials throughout the
conference.  Maybe a half-hour to an hour.  That way people could
learn or improve the skills they don't have.

> I suggest that we shouldn't try to plan the sprints just yet.

Agreed.  I'm just thinking out loud.

Neal