[Pydotorg-redesign] Re: Python FAQ (Was: Re: Confusion: assignments create object references.)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 15 23:04:06 EDT 2003

[I'm cc'ing Robin Munn, who answered on c.l.py, and pydotorg-redesign,
which is the mailing list for people who are working on short-term
design fixes plus medium- to long-term wholesale changes (concentrating
more on the latter; the pydotorg mailing list is for the day-to-day
maintenance issues).  I encourage both Robin and Alex to subscribe to
pydotorg-redesign if they haven't yet.
]

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003, Alex Martelli wrote:

> [i'm answering by email only...]
>
> Aahz wrote:
>
>> In article <slrnb9kveb.1q1.rmunn at localhost.localdomain>,
>> Robin Munn  <rmunn at pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>In fact, the Python FAQ needs some trimming, IMHO. With the "Programming
>>>in Python" section containing over 100 questions, few are going to have
>>>the patience to sit down and read the entire list to see if their
>>>question is on the list. Thus we get the same questions over and over in
>>>the newsgroup. The FAQ is not serving its purpose.
>>>
>>>I am not suggesting we get rid of the information currently contained
>>>in the FAQ, but we should probably refactor the FAQ into two levels: one
>>>for the truly frequently-asked questions, and one for "Here are more
>>>questions that crop up from time to time; look through this for useful
>>>nuggets of information." I think a shorter FAQ would be read a lot more
>>>often.
>>
>> "What 'we', white man?"
>>
>> The python.org webmasters would love for someone to do this work.  Any
>> volunteers?....
>
> What task, exactly?  Editing and restructuring the FAQ into two
> parts, one about questions that ARE indeed asked frequently (say
> 1/3 or less of the current entries), one with the rest (for those
> who are not asked all that frequently)?  Depending on what deadline
> you need for that, I could volunteer for this reorg/editing task.

We're happy for anything and everything.  If you and Robin want to go
off and talk privately for a bit, that's fine, if you two want to talk
about it publicly on pydotorg-redesign, that's fine, too.  If either of
you want CVS access to www.python.org, send e-mail to
webmaster at python.org.

Just to be clear, there's no deadline; it's all based on what
time/energy y'all have available.  We're about to start making the
pydotorg team run on Roundup, so you'll have an issue tracker available
if you want.

Once you two (and anyone else who volunteers) are ready to start making
changes, please post a summary of the plan to pydotorg at python.org.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz, c.l.py, 2/4/2002