[pydotorg-www] project plan

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 23:14:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> 1> Download page is confusing. Make it less so. Why isn't there a
>> massive "DOWNLOAD HERE" button on the home page?
>
> But there is: Quick Links/Windows installer. Plus there is "download
> Python now" in the center of the page.

It's all text; for a lot of people, the text tends to merge together
in a big jumble when looking at the site; given the amount of text we
have on the front page, I'm not surprised.

> If you actually want it to be *massive*, I fail to see how you could
> provide this in any other way but having a *massive* download button. If
> such a button is desirable, I fail to see why it can't be added *now*,
> i.e. why we would have to wait many months until the redesigned site
> provides such a button.

Because where on earth would we put it, and not have it look garish?
Call it the fact I do have to do some amount of GUI/Web design, but I
don't like just slapping things in. For example, the donate button
looks completely out of place to me.

> Please ask him to try again; I added a link in the Core Development menu.

Thank you for adding a link. Now how do we solve this:

http://jessenoller.com/2010/04/22/why-arent-you-contributing-to-python/#comment-46111214

> Can you please find out why the link on the left site called "Community"
> was overlooked? I find that *very* puzzling.

Again; information density. There's no indication of "vibrancy" or a
pulse. Just a link, on the left which says "community" with a bunch of
text links. It can be better, both in layout, content and imagery.

>> 4> Where's a simple way of finding out how to contribute?
>
> Core Development/Patch Submission.

In which we insult people:
http://jessenoller.com/2010/04/22/why-arent-you-contributing-to-python/#comment-46076802

>> 5> Why isn't there a code example on the front page?
>
> Is that also coworker's request? How would that have helped the coworker?

He's given me feedback in the past; ergo, I asked him to restate it.
It's been a long time since he, or any of us were newbies. He was
pointing out that when he started, and hit the python site the first
thing that struck him was a code example.

> We are all volunteers, so no. If you want me to understand, then yes.

I know, and I'm sorry for being short; but I just gave you links to
two massive conversations wherein people who are not me are discussing
this very topic. Most of what I have said here has been echoed,
independently, by people not influenced *by me*. I hoped that that
would be sufficient evidence.

> This list of specific changes already helps to understand (although I'm
> still not sure which of these things that somebody - maybe you -
> actually wanted to have for himself, and which of them you think people
> might want to have, without knowing anybody specifically who said they
> want them).

See above.

> What I also don't understand why these trivial changes have to wait for
> a revamp of the entire site.

I don't consider any of this trivial, given the current design of the site.

Jesse