[pydotorg-www] www.python.org: types of changes

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Apr 23 22:42:29 CEST 2010

Rich's project goals at
http://richleland.bitbucket.org/pydotorg-pm/goals.html
includes the following:

Agility

   Making modifications to the content of the site currently requires a
   build of static files and a level of technical expertise. The site
   content and appearance need to be easier to update.

My suggestion is that we should be careful about specifying exactly which
types of updates we're discussing.  I would classify changes this way:

Organization

    The way pages are connected to each other, and the way a visitor
    perceives sections of the site

Content

    The actual text of the site and downloadable documents

Layout

    Location of content elements on a page (which should have consistency
    across all pages)

Appearance

    Text formatting and images used to convey organizational cues

Obviously, these are all interrelated, but often one is focusing on only
one or two aspects of updating the site at any particular time.  Also, I
generally prioritize these changes in the order that I've listed them
(with the caveat that making organizational changes is sufficiently
difficult and controversial that it rarely happens).

--Bill Harlan