[pydotorg-www] www.python.org: types of changes

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 09:48:02 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> Rich's project goals at
> http://richleland.bitbucket.org/pydotorg-pm/goals.html
> includes the following:
>
> Agility
>
>   Making modifications to the content of the site currently requires a
>   build of static files and a level of technical expertise. The site
>   content and appearance need to be easier to update.
>
> My suggestion is that we should be careful about specifying exactly which
> types of updates we're discussing.  I would classify changes this way:

This classification doesn't seem as the right way to answer the
question "Why the site suxx?". If you'll look at Richard's "Agility"
goal - it answers that.

> Organization
>
>    The way pages are connected to each other, and the way a visitor
>    perceives sections of the site
>
> Content
>
>    The actual text of the site and downloadable documents
>
> Layout
>
>    Location of content elements on a page (which should have consistency
>    across all pages)
>
> Appearance
>
>    Text formatting and images used to convey organizational cues

I believe the encoding of the last sentence should be "Simple English". =)

> Obviously, these are all interrelated, but often one is focusing on only
> one or two aspects of updating the site at any particular time.  Also, I
> generally prioritize these changes in the order that I've listed them
> (with the caveat that making organizational changes is sufficiently
> difficult and controversial that it rarely happens).

"The site suxx, because it is hard to reach everyone's agreement on
site design and layout changes, and nobody is willing to waste time to
work on proposals."
Is that it?

--
anatoly t.