[pydotorg-www] Removing /moin/ suffix from wiki.python.org (Was: Internal Server Error while reverting spam)

Radomir Dopieralski sheep at sheep.art.pl
Mon Dec 19 20:32:08 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 20:01, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Radomir Dopieralski wrote:

>>> I don't think this will technically work with MoinMoin, since it
>>> needs the URL prefix to distinguish between the wiki instances
>>> in a farm installation.
>>>
>>> We could have a redirect from anything not a wiki instance
>>> prefix to wiki.python.org/moin/\1, but the wiki pages themselves
>>> would still need to use the /moin/ prefix.

That's not a problem, I can match both on the domain and on the prefix
-- and I can treat no prefix as yet another match for the prefix.
So, wiki.python.org would lead to the python wiki, wiki.jython.org to
the jython wiki, etc. plus there would be redirects from
wiki.python.org/moin/* and wiki.python.org/jython/*.

>> I'm sorry, but I must protest here. As one of the core developers of
>> MoinMoin I have never heard about such a limitation -- perhaps in was
>> there in some older versions of MoinMoin, from before I joined. In
>> fact, the wikis at *.moinmo.in itself are running as a farm, as far as
>> I know, and they are all top-level wikis. The regular expressions in
>> farmconfig can match the domain names just fine. Even if there was
>> such a limitation, it would be very easy to work around with Apache's
>> rewrite rules. There are no technical problems preventing us from
>> using the setup that Anatoly described, and I will be glad to
>> configure the wikis once an agreement is reached.
>
> Perhaps I wasn't clear:
>
> The farmconfig.py needs to be able to distinguish between
> different wiki instances and since we have at least three such
> instances running on wiki.python.org I don't see how you
> could have a regular expression separate the three if
> the /moin/ instance is going to be moved to top-level.
>
> You could need to separate them by domain name, but then
> we'd need new domain names and Apache setups for the PSF wiki
> and possibly other instances running on the server.
>
>>> BTW: What's so bad about the prefix advertising the use of
>>> MoinMoin for the Python.org wiki ?
>>
>> Personally I don't mind it. I'm just trying to say that there are no
>> technical requirements for it.
>
> Ok. FWIW, I don't see an issue here, so don't think any action is
> necessary. 5 extra characters to type don't warrant the
> extra maintenance effort, IMHO.

I would do all the work and I don't really mind.

--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl