[pydotorg-www] Wiki Spam and Maintenance

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Sep 3 01:50:34 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm not sure whether anyone noticed, but for most of August I wasn't doing any
Python Wiki maintenance, so I'd like to thank those people who stepped in and
tried to keep the wiki free of spam. As those unfortunate people realised,
removing spam can take up considerable amounts of time that could be spent on
other things.

Spam prevention can be a difficult trick to pull off: the MoinMoin Wiki
manages to do just fine, as does the Debian Wiki, it would seem. Meanwhile,
other Moin wikis struggle to deal with the deluge of Internet spam, and this
presumably frustrates both users and admins alike. Consequently, I have made
an attempt at elementary advice on the matter:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=31345030

(I have also given advice for specific wikis in the past [*], but I have no
idea whether this advice has been followed, especially given the current
difficulties of such sites.)

I do not feel that the right balance is being maintained between the freedom
to edit the Python Wiki and the need to demand that contributors be
sufficiently trustworthy and knowledgeable in order to make edits. Since the
threshold to make edits once one has registered an account remains too low,
spammers are able to take advantage of our generosity of spirit.

It is unfortunate, then, that wiki maintainers do not enjoy the same level of
accommodation enjoyed by spammers along with hypothetical wiki editors who
would supposedly go to the trouble of creating a wiki account and making edits
without being able to answer even the most elementary question about the
nature of Python or its community. Although textcha support is enabled, we
seem to be asking such casual contributors the wrong questions, and the cost
of this is being borne by the wiki maintainers.

I would much rather be doing other things than clean up spam that probably
could have been prevented through more effective use of the available
mechanisms. My time and the time of others is being wasted so that other
random people can merely avoid inconvenience. I do not regard this situation
as a sustainable one, nor do I regard it as an acceptable way of treating
those who have taken on such responsibility voluntarily.

Please can we review our anti-spam measures and implement a policy that does
not take advantage of those volunteers who feel responsible for maintaining
this resource? I appreciate the work done to revive and run this resource, but
I feel that the patience of those maintaining it will eventually expire if
something is not done about this.

Thanks,

Paul

[*] http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2010-May/032464.html