[Pygui] [Pyobjc-dev] mac os x 10.6 installation error

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Apr 22 02:50:52 CEST 2011

David Cortesi wrote:

> So I repeated my attempts to install 2.3. First I installed the latest
> version of XCode (3.2.6) (4.1 gig download, sheesh). Then ran
>
>    sudo easy_install pyobjc

> and then it hits pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver
>   there are a lot of C warnings and a couple of errors, then:
>
> lipo: can't open input file: /var/tmp//ccWUi61Z.out (No such file or directory)
> error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc-4.2' failed with
> exit status 1

PyGUI doesn't actually need all of the sub-packages of PyObjC,
all it needs is 'pyobjc_core' and 'pyobjc_framework_Cocoa'.

PyPI doesn't make it easy, but you can get to the sub-packages
individually this way:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=pyobjc&submit=search

I didn't even attempt to use easy_install (I don't like setuptools
and will try to avoid touching it if at all possible). If I
remember correctly, I downloaded the .egg files, unzipped them and
manually moved their contents into site-packages.

I don't think you should need to have Xcode installed to do any
of this.

To the PyObjC developers, I would make the following requests:

1) Please DON'T require setuptools or easy-install. Make it available
either as a standard MacOSX installer package or an ordinary Python
package that can be installed using 'python setup.py install'.

2) Make the individual packages easily findable, downloadable
and installable separately for those that don't need the whole
thing.

--
Greg