[pypy-dev] How to translate 300000 lines of C

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Tue Jan 21 16:17:03 CET 2003

[Samuele Pedroni Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 03:40:24PM +0100]
> From: "Armin Rigo" <arigo at tunes.org>
> > Both Jython and the old Stackless demonstrate badly enough that translating
> > the CPython code manually might be quite possible, but if you do it, your
> > project is doomed to become completely out-of-date after a couple of years.
> > Let's not repeat that mistake.
>
> Jython is not a manual translation of CPython C but what I do I know, it seems
> that here everybody is a Jython expert.

I'd appreciate if somebody could share knowledge about Jython.
I know that Jython works quite nicely and there are quite some
people beeing happy with Jython.

ASFAIK Jython compiles Python into Java-bytecode with no
intermediate python interpreter.  But i am happy to be corrected.

> Jython could use a more active community wrt development
> but that's a different kind of issue.

FWIW, personally i dont't join any Jython effort because
i don't particularily like to code in Java unless payed
for it.  If i had to do a lot of stuff in Java and could
use Jython this would be different.

    holger