[pypy-dev] PyPy broken! What's up?

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Aug 3 05:45:25 CEST 2005

Hi Friends,

in Hildesheim, I struggled for many hours to get my new marshal
module to compile and integrate. Finally, after removing all
problematic things where the annotator or the rtyper complained
about, I figured out that the current PyPy SVN version did
not compile at all.

Today, I tried again, after I brought marshal some quality levels
further. Still, PyPy does not translate, neither on Windows ( with
my patches of course) nor on Debian Linux.

The property to be translatable to a C binary is much more
valuable than it is treated. I would really like to see some
notation of that, like tagging a PyPy version as translatable.
I think we are lacking something, here.

Due to this fact, I will now carelessly check marshal in,
without disabling it. This has cost Samuele and me way too many
hours, although I figured out that PyPy was not translatable
at all, at that time. (Yes, we had many bugs and removed them).

Please, I want a principal decision about this. Either breaking
PyPy must be forbidden, or check-ins must be tagged whether they
do compile or not. Random results about this are not acceptable
for me, because this takes very much time.

- chris