[pypy-dev] winding down and getting interactive

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Aug 4 10:02:02 CEST 2005

Hi all,

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 22:25 +0200, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
> Hi PyPy-Dev!
>
> Some quit notes about Sunday, the 7th and last day of the sprint. In
> general it was sort of a lazy day where we reveled in the success of the
> previous night ;-).

You can also see some views on this nicely described
"winding-down" in my finalized picture set found here:

    http://codespeak.net/~hpk/hildesheim2-sprint-www/

Moreover, yesterday Samuele managed to fix one remaining problem
(see https://codespeak.net/issue/pypy-dev/issue106) that
was preventing us from executing "import code ; code.interact()"
with the translated PyPy: a self-contained interactive prompt!
Of course, we are still missing lots of builtin modules.
And of course, it's slow because lots of stuff is running
at applevel and we are not tackling optimizations yet.

So at least on linux platforms you may have success checking
out the latest dist, going to pypy/translator/goal and executing
'sh runtranslate.sh'. This should after around 30 minutes result
in a PyPy extension module (it's not using any CPython stuff,
it's just still an extension module for historic integration reasons)
and 'app_example.py' should get executed.  This should result
in the mentioned interactive prompt.

You can also go to the extension module found in the
latest /tmp/usession-NUM directory, and execute:

    python
    import testing_1
    testing_1.entry_point("/path/to/app_example.py")

or specify some other file containing a small test program.

cheers & have fun,

    holger