[pypy-dev] hildesheim2 day 2 + 3 report / status

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Jul 28 10:48:17 CEST 2005

Hi folks,

the end of the world is near ...
following up on Carl's day 1 report here are the main results
of what happened up until now at the hildesheim2 sprint (we are
in the break day currently which we spent in the city, at
Wing-Tsun lessons or at family meetings).

The main results so far are:

- any faking can be removed now with

    python2.4 py.py --file --nofakedmodules

  so on the trunk you should see no 'faking' messages
  during startup anymore. It will take some time
  mostly because of the 'file' implementation living
  at app-level.  Note that we have some problems
  running on top of Python2.3 at the moment and
  also some more problems with PYC file support.

- Annotation can now complete without
  resorting to any SomeObjects anywhere (!!)

- RTyping has only 2 Errors remaining. The next bigger
  problem is getting the compiler package integrated
  and bootstrapped properly.

- note that we are not working from the snapshot
  but the trunk currently.  After the sprint
  we probably return to the snapshot approach
  for translation.

If you want to see more detailed daily-updated progress
reports i suggest to read and follow the commits on

http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?extradoc/sprintinfo/hildesheim2-planning.txt
Moreover, i shot a few pictures which i put here:

    http://codespeak.net/~hpk/hildesheim2-sprint-www

and here is a picture of the surrounding place
(Trillke-Gut, my living&working base):

   http://www.trillke.net/images/HomePagePictureSmall.jpg

cheers,

    holger

P.S.: It appears that we will have to continue our
      investigations regarding some of the current problems on
      the astral plane.  Armin and Carl has already spend some
      time on assembler level yesterday to hunt down the
      weirdest TCC interactions. But there are other confusing
      events as well.  um, we watched 'the nine lives of
      Thomas Katz' yesterday night, btw.
      Anyway, we are still taking bets if the first C-generated
      annotated RTyped PyPy is to produce a segmentation fault
      in the C-compiler or in the resulting binary.