[pypy-dev] Re: Question (please answer!)

Richard Emslie rxe at ukshells.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 07:07:15 CEST 2005

cc 'ing pypy-dev, since I cant get to #pypy these days.

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Richard Emslie wrote:
>
>> Did see ll_osdefs.h breaks llvm in horrible ways...
>>

> Aaahrrrgggg!!!
>
> Why that at all?
> Just a brave part of the inclues, taken from CPython  ( *gulp* )
> how can this hurt so much ?

:-)  Yes arrrggghhhh!!  But no fault of yours - just that we use a (llvm)
C compiler for externs.  If a local compiler is not available, we go to a
remote machine to generate llvm code.  So local includes are not possible
- hence in genllvm we manually include C files from #include statements.
:-(

Now listdir() uses opaque (dont know if you introduced this or someone
else) - and llvm doesnt have proper support for opaque types... yet.  So
we cannot compile pypy right now.

>> will try to fix, but it is becoming more of a hassle trying to maintain
>> llvm backend when it is not really giving much back.

Sorry for the negativeness.  It would be interesting however to have the
core developers opinion(s) about backends in general and whether it is
believed maintaining it (the llvm one) is a worthwhile goal.

> Sorry about that.I tried to make my live easier when I had to port
> this listdir() mess, which does not fit winnows at all :-)

No need to apologize - the include fix was minor and opaque types are part
of rpython and cannot be avoided. :-)

Cheers & good nite,
Richard