[pypy-dev] Re: idea for Summer of PyPy - call for feedback

Aurélien Campéas aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr
Thu Jan 19 10:29:07 CET 2006

Le mercredi 18 janvier 2006 à 18:23 +0000, Michael Hudson a écrit :
> Aurélien Campéas <aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr> writes:
>
> > Le mercredi 18 janvier 2006 à 10:23 -0500, Matt Revelle a écrit :
> >> Hi Aurélien,
> >> PEAK's dispatch provides generic function support for Python.
> >> More info here: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-cppeak2/
> >
> > Thanks for the link.
> >
> > It still does not seem to really support multiple dispatch (only the
> > funky "predicative" dispatch). David Mertz's own multimethods.py is more
> > complete than that. Whatever. None of them is complete.
> >
> > I'm told there that it is not really something specific to PyPy, which
> > may be very true ... (Anyway I tried ;-)
> >
> > Less sure about the condition system.
>
> The condition system is more of a protocol -- or socialogical, perhaps
> -- thing than a technical thing.  I talked about this at EuroPython

Yes, I have seen your slides.

> last year, and am talking about it at ACCU again so if you're going to
> be in Mallorca I'll be happy to beta-test my talk on you there :)

I don't know if I'll be there, but good luck evangelizing peopple about
conditions and restarts :)

I guess that 'once upon a time' acceptance of 'function call' could have
been said to be more of a protocol (or a sociological thing ?) than a
technical thing ... to people who grew writing assembly ;-)

(and what about that 'object oriented programming' thing ... ?)