[pypy-dev] CLI code generation

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon Mar 20 22:03:30 CET 2006

Re-Hi!

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:53 +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:43:26PM +0100, holger krekel wrote:
> > Good point which i indeed had forgotten about.  Also regarding GCs
> > it is higher level than C.  So probably we need oo + part-of-lltypes :)
>
> You keep inserting lltype here -- probably just out of our
> well-established habit of loving confusion :-)  ootype contains
> lltype-ish aspects of its own, because all OO target languages that we
> have in mind need these aspects.  There is nothing special about IL --
> certainly not anything that would make it different than C#, as far as I
> can tell.

didn't intend to doubt the latter.  But I guess i need to
refresh/improve my knowledge of ootypes.

> > Btw, we are seriously lacking documentation in the translation area -
> > or did i overlook something?  There seems to be a complete lack
> > of even the roughtest documentation on ootypes, gensqueak,
> > genjavascript and - for that matter - on rctypes.
>
> It's quite lacking indeed, although you overlooked two files
> pypy/doc/*ctypes*.txt.

indeed, the one thing i did not grep for but searched on the
index page :) ... probably those should be combined into one document
and referenced from the index page.   Without that it's hard
to discover them - apart from the fact that the index page got
a bit less useful with all the assorted accumulated links
these days.  Side question: you apparently wrote much of the
ctypes-integration doc in Mallorca - is it still somewhat
up-to-date after Dallas/Pycon?

best,

    holger