[pypy-dev] Status of pypy-c under Windows

Scott Dial scott+pypy-dev at scottdial.com
Sat Feb 10 00:41:52 CET 2007

holger krekel wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 16:11 -0500, Scott Dial wrote:
>> My apologies for having let my automated testing fall to pieces.
>> Somewhere about a month ago the working copy got damaged and "svn up"
>> stopped working bringing a halt to the whole process. I attempted to
>> revive it last night, however I can't seem to get Armin's scripts to
>> work anymore.. my only guess is that it is related to the "P.S.: Armin,
>> we didn't fix htmlconftest yet." from holger. Because I can run the test
>> suite just fine, however no html files are being generated. If anyone
>> has a solution, then I'll get the win32 testing back up and running.
>
> i think it would help.  Indeed, last night was unfortunate timing ...
> fijal tried to fix htmlconftest, does it work for you now maybe?
> If not, it will be fixed in the next days, i am sure.

It does indeed appear to be working. I'm currently in the middle of a
run. I had to revert from using svnwcrevert to update the working copy.
I kept getting an AttributeError about not having a 'locked' attribute
on something or other. My problem in the past was the SVN data getting
out of whack, so I dunno even despite the fresh checkout. I've decided
to let TortoiseSVN handle the updating.. we'll see how well that lasts.

I would share with you my patches to the autotest.py but they feel very
homegrown and not very generalized. Let me know if you are interested at
all in that.

>> Unless you are planning to run it on a regular basis, in which case I
>> can just resign my box from doing that.
>
> if you can keep it up for now, that'd be good, i think.

Will do.

>> Along the same lines as you, it was relatively painless. The only
>> difference was that I am using the free VCToolkit compiler and Platform
>> SDK instead of a full-fledge install of Visual Studio.
>
> could you provide a few url-references how to do this oneself?

My build environment is derived from the tools need to build CPython
extensions[1] with an extra patch[2] to keep the PATH a sane length
(duplicates PATH entries). I don't remember what hackery was required to
get gc6.8 to build other than info about boehm already available. For
reference, I've made a patch reflecting my changes[3].

Unfortunately (as has been hashed out on python-dev quite a bit), the VC
Toolkit 2003 is not made available by Microsoft anymore. I've not
attempted to use the 2005 Express Edition compiler, but for the purposes
of compiling pypy, it should work fine unless you are trying to build a
module to load into CPython. I retain a copy of the VCToolkitSetup.exe
install and it can still be found 3rd-party (MD5
90d8b963ca196aa9855b2ca6c3174c14).

[1] http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/
[2] http://scottdial.com/pypy-dev/msvccompiler.py.diff
[3] http://scottdial.com/pypy-dev/NT_THREADS_MAKEFILE.diff