[pypy-dev] setrecursionlimit deprecation?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Dec 11 18:32:26 CET 2010

Hi Benjamin,

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> FWIW, I disagree with the deprecation. I think should just be a no-op.

But then people are going to complain that their app seems to hang up
on pypy, and neither they nor we have any clue what is going on ---
until we figure out that they used sys.setrecursionlimit() to put a
bound on recursion and catch the RuntimeError.  That's at least the
reason for which I suggested that calling sys.setrecursionlimit()
should at least print a warning.  Now I agree that maybe the message
of the warning is not the clearest one.