[pypy-dev] Idea for speed.pypy.org

Miquel Torres tobami at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 13 09:20:14 CET 2010

Thanks all for the input.
I've compiled a list based on your mails, the Unladen benchmarks page
(http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/Benchmarks), and the
alioth descriptions. Here is an extract of the current speed.pypy.org
admin:

ai
chaos	Creates chaosgame-like fractals
crypto_pyaes	A pure python implementation of AES
django		Uses the Django template system to build a 150x150-cell HTML table

fannkuch		Indexed-access to tiny integer-sequence. The fannkuch
benchmark is defined by programs in Performing Lisp Analysis of the
FANNKUCH Benchmark, Kenneth R. Anderson and Duane Rettig.

float		Creates an array of points using circular projection and then
normalizes and maximizes them. Floating-point heavy.
go		A go (chess like game) computer player AI.
html5lib	Parses the HTML 5 spec using html5lib
meteor-contest	Searchs for solutions to shape packing puzzle.
nbody_modified		Double-precision N-body simulation. It models the
orbits of Jovian planets, using a simple symplectic-integrator.
pyflate-fast		Stand-alone pure-Python DEFLATE (gzip) and bzip2
decoder/decompressor.
raytrace-simple	A raytracer renderer
richards		Medium-sized language benchmark that simulates the task
dispatcher in the kernel of an operating system.
rietveld	A Django application benchmark.
slowspitfire
spambayes	Runs a canned mailbox through a SpamBayes ham/spam classifier
spectral-norm
spitfire	Uses the Spitfire template system to build a 1000x1000-cell HTML table.
spitfire_cstringio	Uses the Spitfire template system to build a
1000x1000-cell HTML table, using the cstringio module.
telco
twisted_iteration
twisted_names
twisted_pb
twisted_tcp	Connects one Twised client to one Twisted server over TCP
(on the loopback interface) and then writes bytes as fast as it can.
waf	Python-based framework for configuring, compiling and installing
applications. It derives from the concepts of other build tools such
as Scons, Autotools, CMake or Ant.

So the remaining descriptions are
ai
slowspitfire (what is the exact difference between the three spitfire benches?)
spectral-norm
telco
twisted (most of them)

Are the descriptions all right so far?. They can be made much longer
if you deem it desirable.

on speed.pypy.org you will currently see the descriptions in 3 places:
- Changes view: A tooltip on hover over each benchmark
- Timeline: a description box beneath each plot
- Comparison: A tooltip over each benchmark when hovering the
selection menu on the left side.

Any suggestions on how to improve it further are welcome ;-)

Miquel