[pypy-dev] python 3

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Aug 18 10:09:51 CEST 2011

Hi Miquel,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Miquel Torres <tobami at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> This would remain as a branch for the foreseeable future though,
>> because we still need a Python 2 interpreter, if only to run our own
>> translation toolchain on (and not suffer the 2.5x slow-down of running
>> it on CPython 2.x).
> I don't quite follow. Switching to Python 3 (I am not saying that
> would be a good idea, just clarifying) and release as, let's say, PyPy
> 2.0, doesn't mean that the impending 1.6 release would go away. Python
> 3 users would use PyPy 2.0+, while users of Python 2.7 would use PyPy
> 1.6. You would still be able to compile PyPy and its Python 2.7
> toolchain with PyPy 1.6, thus getting the 2.5x speed up.

Yes, I think we are basically saying the same thing.  Internally we
need two branches and continuous merges, for everything done in the
translation toolchain part (and the JIT).  It doesn't really matter
which branch is called "a branch" or "the trunk" :-)  We can discuss
when the time comes how to give version numbers to the result.  Should
it be PyPy 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.6.3 and in parallel PyPy 2.0.1, 2.0.2,
2.0.3?...  The point I made originally was that I don't think we can
or should, for the foreseeable future, stop releasing newer versions
of PyPy supporting 2.7.