[pypy-dev] Executable stack of pypy-c

Ilya Osadchiy osadchiy.ilya at gmail.com
Fri May 13 19:24:40 CEST 2011

Hello.
When translating pypy 1.5 under Gentoo linux I get binary with executable
permission for the stack (so that execute prevention will not be enabled for
it). Then if I make a gentoo package for I get annoying notice about it
during installation.
After some inspection I've found that the problem comes from gcmaptable.s
which doesn't have the line '.section    .note.GNU-stack,"", at progbits'.
(I see that gcmaptable.s is generated "manually" and not by gcc, perhaps
that's the reason).

1. Is the executable stack really needed?
2. If it's not needed, can we add the line '.section
.note.GNU-stack,"", at progbits' to the end of gcmaptable.s?

Thanks