[pypy-dev] Trouble building pypy

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat May 14 22:49:55 CEST 2011

Hi Jay,

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Jay Parlar <parlar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying on-and-off to build PyPy for a few days now, and keep
> running into various issues. I was hoping someone on the list could
> give me some pointers as to what I'm doing wrong.

As usual it looks like some obscure sub-platform-specific detail; I
love C.  These errors you get seem strange:

[platform:Error] "_libintl_gettext", referenced from:
[platform:Error] _pypy_g_gettext__arrayPtr_star_1 in ccHLYwGr.o

The C sources (from
/var/folders/7+/7+jU+2VeFbq7ekX49vUWQk+++TQ/-Tmp-/usession-default-2/testing_1)
contain a function called pypy_g_gettext__arrayPtr_star_1(), and this
function should contain a call to gettext(), which comes from the
library libintl.  However, in some cases, libintl.h contains "#define
gettext libintl_gettext".  I can only imagine that for some reason
this line is enabled in the .h file, but your actual libintl.dynlib
does not actually define this symbol, but just gettext().  You should
also check that the Makefile in the above directory really contains
"-lintl".  But you'll have to go around finding more about this bug on
your own, I fear, because this is all I can guess from a bit of
Googling around...