[pypy-dev] PyPy 1.6 not working on Windows XP

Ram Rachum ram at rachum.com
Wed Oct 5 19:37:07 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc <amauryfa at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/10/5 Ram Rachum <ram at rachum.com>:
> > Okay, I've spent a few hours print-debugging, and I think I've almost got
> > it.
> > The crash happens on a line:
> >     st = os.stat(s)
> > inside `os.path.isdir`, where `s` is a string 'C:\\Documents and
> > Settings\\User\\My Documents\\Python Projects\\GarlicSim\\garlicsim\\src'
> > This is a directory that happens not to exist, but of course this is not
> > good reason to crash.
> > I have tried running `os.stat(s)` in the PyPy shell with that same `s`,
> but
> > didn't get a crash there. I don't know why it's crashing in Nose but not
> in
> > the shell.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue?
>
> it's possible that it's a RPython-level exception, or a bad handle because
> too many files wait for the garbage collector to close them.
>
> Can you give more information about the crash itself?
> - What are the last lines printed in the console? Try to disable
> "stdout capture" in Nose, by passing the -s option.

This is the entire output:

Preparing to run tests using Python 2.7.1 (080f42d5c4b4, Aug 23 2011,
11:41:11)
[PyPy 1.6.0 with MSC v.1500 32 bit]
Running tests directly from GarlicSim repo.
Pypy doesn't have wxPython, not loading `garlicsim_wx` tests.
nose.config: INFO: Set working dir to C:\Documents and Settings\User\My
Documents\Python Projects\GarlicSim
nose.config: INFO: Ignoring files matching ['^\\.', '^_', '^setup\\.py$']
nose.plugins.cover: INFO: Coverage report will include only packages:
['garlicsim', 'garlicsim_lib', 'garlicsim_wx', 'test_garlicsim',
'test_garlicsim_lib', 'test_garlicsim_wx', 'garlicsim', 'garlicsim_lib',
'garlicsim_wx', 'test_garlicsim', 'test_garlicsim_lib', 'test_garlicsim_wx',
'garlicsim', 'garlicsim_lib', 'garlicsim_wx', 'test_garlicsim',
'test_garlicsim_lib', 'test_garlicsim_wx']

- after the pypy process has exited, type "echo %ERRORLEVEL%" in the
> same console, to print the exit code
> of the last process. Which number is it?

-1073741819