[pypy-dev] Contributing

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:54:16 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Jez <jezreel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a college student interested in contributing to PyPy. I am not too sure
> exactly what I would like to work on, but I would ultimately like to get
> involved with the core JIT code, and I would prefer to work on improving the
> generated code rather than working on tools like the jitviewer. I would be
> grateful if you guys could point me to some good first bugs, and / or
> suggest some projects that would be in line with my interests.

Hi, great!

There is a couple of tasks related to the generated assembler that can
be improved. The long-waiting large size task is improving the current
register allocator. A bit less demanding one is investigating whether
reordering instructions makes sense on modern machines (also not very
small though).

If you want to know more, we usually hang out on IRC #pypy on
freenode, otherwise feel free to ask more questions here.

Cheers,
fijal