[pypy-dev] Contributing to pypy [especially numpy]

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 09:52:13 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Samuel Vaiter <samuel.vaiter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am willing to contribute to PyPy, especially on Numpy port. The main
> reason why Numpy is my main interest is that as Ph.D student in
> Applied Mathematics, I really hope one day we will be able to perform
> numerical computation without using heavy binding in C/Fortran or
> intermediate solution like Cython.
> I didn't contribute to any opensource project yet, and I may have to
> learn some conventions. However, I'm a regular user of DCVS.

Hi!

It's great to hear from you!

> Looking at the source code and the dev mailing list, it's seems a big
> refactoring is currently done on the numpy branch. Is there any small
> fixes/features easy enough to implement for a newbie on the topic ?
>
> Samuel

Yes, there are definitely small things that you can work on.

A good start would be to pick a missing feature from numpy and start
implementing it. There is usually someone on IRC who can help if you
have some immediate questions.

Do you want me to find you some small thing?

Cheers,
fijal