[pypy-dev] Stacklets

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 01:50:51 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Welll the easiest thing to do is to see if import _continuation fails. And
> if it does fail, try to import
> greenlets. Also keep the old greenlet code. This is very much the way the
> previous stackless.py
> worked.

Wouldn't that complicate the code unnecessarily?  Perhaps a better way
would be to put the burden on the greenlet users and if they wish to
share the implementation, they should write an emulation layer for
continuations.

> As discussed on IRC, I think an approach that would work is fork
> stackless.py in two. One branch would be conventional. That that,  it would
> track C basedStackless but incorporate stuff like continuelets and bug fixes
> and more conservative features.
>
> The other branch would be experimental. Wilder stuff would be done there.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  As long as any new or altered features
do not make it into what is labelled as an implementation of the
Stackless API without also being accepted into Stackless itself.

Cheers,
Richard.