[pypy-dev] Student project ideas

Nick Wilson nick at njwilson.net
Tue Sep 27 23:47:55 CEST 2011

On 9/27/11 1:55 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
> Hi Nick.
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Nick Wilson<nick at njwilson.net>  wrote:
>> I'm interested in volunteering my time to mentor a small group of senior
>> Computer Science students at Oregon State University on a project relevant
>> to the Python community. PyPy definitely qualifies, and I'm looking for
>> project ideas.
>
> Great :)
>

>> The project would be for their senior capstone class. Groups of 2-4
>> students vote on the list of available projects and then work from roughly
>> mid-November to mid-May (along with all their other coursework) to
>> complete it. The scope of a projects are similar to what you'd assign a
>> full-time summer intern.
>>
>> I'm relatively new to the Python community and haven't poked around PyPy
>> much yet. I see the potential PyPy project list [1] in the developer
>> documentation. That's very helpful, but is anyone able to recommend some
>> projects from that list that are about the right difficulty and size?
>
> It would be great to schedule some sort of IRC discussions and
> especially ask what people are interested in working on. It also
> depends vastly on people's knowledge of Python, compilers etc, so it's
> hard to tell which projects are what size for what people upfront.
> What's your timezone? When is a good time to have such discussion?

Thanks for the response :)

I'm on the west coast of the US (UTC-7), but it looks like I may have
missed the opportunity to submit a PyPy-related proposal for the class.
I got another Python proposal in there but the deadline for submitting
more (yesterday) was closer than I realized. I'll have to talk to the
professor to see if there might be more room, but let's hold off on a
discussion for now.

Nick