[pypy-dev] Student project ideas

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 22:55:20 CEST 2011

Hi Nick.

Sorry for the late reply.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Nick Wilson <nick at njwilson.net> wrote:
> I'm interested in volunteering my time to mentor a small group of senior
> Computer Science students at Oregon State University on a project relevant
> to the Python community. PyPy definitely qualifies, and I'm looking for
> project ideas.

Great :)

> The project would be for their senior capstone class. Groups of 2-4
> students vote on the list of available projects and then work from roughly
> mid-November to mid-May (along with all their other coursework) to
> complete it. The scope of a projects are similar to what you'd assign a
> full-time summer intern.
>
> I'm relatively new to the Python community and haven't poked around PyPy
> much yet. I see the potential PyPy project list [1] in the developer
> documentation. That's very helpful, but is anyone able to recommend some
> projects from that list that are about the right difficulty and size?

It would be great to schedule some sort of IRC discussions and
especially ask what people are interested in working on. It also
depends vastly on people's knowledge of Python, compilers etc, so it's
hard to tell which projects are what size for what people upfront.
What's your timezone? When is a good time to have such discussion?

> I have a decent amount of time to work with the students and am looking
> for a project I could make significant contributions to as well. So I
> should be able to work closely with the students and take whatever they
> produce and work it into something usable if they are unable to complete
> the entire project.

That's great.