[pypy-dev] Seeking a bit of guidance

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 18:51:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote:
> For some reason I had assumed that pypy could be a drop in replacement
> for python.  I am on Debian Unstable and I am suspected that my
> assumption is being thwarted.  In particular in trying to run SCons.
>
> |> python /home/Checkouts/Mercurial/SCons/bootstrap/src/script/scons.py
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> scons: done reading SConscript files.
> scons: Building targets ...
> stopServerIfNeedBe(["allPDFs"], [])
> scons: done building targets.
>
> |> pypy /home/Checkouts/Mercurial/SCons/bootstrap/src/script/scons.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "app_main.py", line 51, in run_toplevel
>  File "/home/Checkouts/Mercurial/SCons/bootstrap/src/script/scons.py", line 187, in <module>
>    import SCons.Script
> ImportError: No module named SCons
>
> This may be a SCons problem or a Debian Python packaging issue but
> higher likelihood is a PyPy configuration issue?  Basically I am not
> sure where to start.
>
> I use SCons from a Mercurial clone, Python from Debian packages, PyPy
> from then downloaded binary distribution.
>
> |> python --version
> Python 2.7.2+
>
> |> pypy --version
> Python 2.7.1 (7773f8fc4223, Nov 18 2011, 18:47:11)
> [PyPy 1.7.0 with GCC 4.4.3]
>
> Help and guidance greatfully received.  Thanks.
> --
> Russel.

Hey

PyPy does not automatically pick up python packages installed for the
system python. The same would actually be true for CPython if you
installed it from sources. I suggest using virtualenv and creating one
with pypy as an executable and then installing stuff using pip or
easy_install.

Cheers,
fijal