[pypy-dev] Global executable naming policy

William ML Leslie william.leslie.ttg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:29:26 CET 2012

On 17 February 2012 16:21, Aaron DeVore <aaron.devore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gentoo's CPython package gives python, python2, python3, python2.x,
> and python3.x. Gentoo's PyPy package allows parallel PyPy versions by
> appending a version number. The names I listed would bring PyPy up to
> the level of CPython.

Sure, but the pypy equivalent of cpython is pypy-c.  You would
probably not want to have cpython and jython with the same name by
default, nor would you probably want to have pypy-c and pypy-jvm with
the same name.  The reason it matters is that applications may depend
on particular integration features, or not, in which case whatever
backend is available is fine.

William Leslie