[pypy-dev] Problems Installing STM

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Jan 5 11:46:16 CET 2012

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 19:45, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have downloaded pypy from the repository, overlaid it with a pre-compiled
> (I don't have a big enough machine to compile from source) and use
> virtualenv, altering PYTHONPATH to point to the top of the pypy directory.

You don't need a PyPy at all, pre-compiled or not.  You don't need
virtualenv either.

> python test_rstm.py
> the programme starts to compile but ends with no errors.

As documented at various places, you run the tests by saying:

    python ../../../test_all.py test_rstm.py

typically with "python" being the CPython interpreter.

> I decided to test some other programmes to see if my environment is
> functioning correctly. I decided to run  bpnn
>
> ../pypy/translator/goal/translate.py --stm bpnn.py
>
> (I added the --stm because the translator complained)

That's expected: the branch adds stm-only tweaks and doesn't try to
integrate non-stm so far.  But that's also a pointless example,
because bpnn.py doesn't use multiple threads.  The only fully-compiled
multithreaded demo using stm is in
pypy/translator/stm/test/targetdemo.py, which you can use instead of
bpnn.py in the line above.

>> /home/andrew/pypy-stm/pypy/translator/c/funcgen.py(697)OP_CAST_PTR_TO_ADR()
> -> "in %r" % (self.graph,))
> (Pdb+)

You are getting this because the support is only good enough to run
targetdemo.py.