[pypy-dev] GC error

Rich Drewes drewes at interstice.com
Mon Jan 16 19:44:24 CET 2012

Hello all,

Great work on pypy!  I've had good luck with pypy generally but on a
program that loads a very large data set I am getting a GC related

RPython traceback:
   File "translator_goal_targetpypystandalone.c", line 888, in entry_point
   File "interpreter_function.c", line 876, in funccall__star_1
   File "interpreter_function.c", line 905, in funccall__star_1
   File "rpython_memory_gc_minimark.c", line 2490, in
   File "rpython_memory_gc_minimark.c", line 2193, in
   File "rpython_memory_gc_minimark.c", line 4535, in
   File "rpython_memory_gc_base.c", line 1761, in trace___trace_drag_out
   File "rpython_memory_gc_minimarkpage.c", line 214, in
   File "rpython_memory_gc_minimarkpage.c", line 536, in
   File "rpython_memory_gc_minimarkpage.c", line 735, in
Fatal RPython error: MemoryError

This is pypy 1.7.0 from ppa.launchpad.net on x86_64 Ubuntu 11.10.  The
data being loaded exceeds the size of physical memory, but there is
plenty of swap space.

The same program works with cpython.

I wanted to try to force pypy to use a different GC, but couldn't figure
out how to do that yet.  Apparently you can't select the GC from pypy
command line and my efforts to use translate.py with an alternate GC
haven't worked so far.

Any suggestions appreciated.