[pypy-dev] "import signal" fails when running PyPy interpreted

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Mar 11 19:40:22 CET 2012

Hi Stefan,

Care to explain what you are really trying to do?  We never actually
*use* py.py --- the fact that its options' defaults don't include any
modules should be a hint --- apart for demos and "just because you
can".

If you manage to isolate a failing test, then it can be written in a
particular way so that you get essentially py.py running only the
failing 5 lines.  Additionally, with sharing the object space across
multiple tests, we reduce the run time to a small fraction of second
per test.  Look for "class AppTestXxx" in the majority of the test
files in interpreter/test, module/*/test, or objspace/std/test.

It's tersely documented in pypy/doc/coding_guide.rst.  There are also
several other options for running tests of various lengths at various
levels.  The longest-running test in pypy is maybe a JIT test that
takes more than 5 minutes, but that's considered extreme.