[pypy-dev] "import signal" fails when running PyPy interpreted

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Mar 12 08:42:16 CET 2012

Armin Rigo, 11.03.2012 19:40:
> Care to explain what you are really trying to do?  We never actually
> *use* py.py --- the fact that its options' defaults don't include any
> modules should be a hint --- apart for demos and "just because you
> can".
>
> If you manage to isolate a failing test, then it can be written in a
> particular way so that you get essentially py.py running only the
> failing 5 lines.  Additionally, with sharing the object space across
> multiple tests, we reduce the run time to a small fraction of second
> per test.  Look for "class AppTestXxx" in the majority of the test
> files in interpreter/test, module/*/test, or objspace/std/test.
>
> It's tersely documented in pypy/doc/coding_guide.rst.

I read this a little closer now and it told me more or less what I expected
when I skipped over it for the first time. It tells me that "PyPy can be
debugged on top of CPython", which is (in friendly words) only true if you
are prepared to fire it up before going to bed to get the results the next
morning. I thought we had to 60's for that.

It also tells me (as you did above) that test code can be split into
RPython code and application level code. Fine - just not my use case,
because I don't have application level code to debug, just RPython code.

So, simple question: how do I debug cpyext without slowing down the whole
machinery to a crawl?

Stefan