[pypy-dev] translating pypy benchmarks to C

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Feb 25 09:43:29 CET 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Ghitulete Razvan
<razvan.ghitulete at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What you are doing will not generate any information about how fast Python
>> can be. It will show you the speed of RPython or Cython on baremetal, these
>> are *NOT* python.
>
> I really disapprove of this language purity stuff. If it compiles, it works.

The point that Alex tried to make is that if you take a random
medium-sized Python program, like any of the benchmarks you wanted to
use, then it is very unlikely that just by chance they happen to also
be valid RPython or Cython code.  In order to take a Python program
that was not meant to be RPython, and turn it into RPython, for
example, then you need to review and fix it completely --- it is quite
an endeavour.  I wouldn't call it "language purity stuff" at all.  If
you don't think what I'm saying here makes sense, just try.