[pypy-dev] translating pypy benchmarks to C

Ghitulete Razvan razvan.ghitulete at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 09:58:51 CET 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The point that Alex tried to make is that if you take a random
> medium-sized Python program, like any of the benchmarks you wanted to
> use, then it is very unlikely that just by chance they happen to also
> be valid RPython or Cython code.  In order to take a Python program
> that was not meant to be RPython, and turn it into RPython, for
> example, then you need to review and fix it completely --- it is quite
> an endeavour.  I wouldn't call it "language purity stuff" at all.  If
> you don't think what I'm saying here makes sense, just try.

It's not that I don't think it makes sense and I am pretty sure it will
prove to be an ordeal. Also, the reason I said that I don't want to go into
language purity arguments is that it is actually pretty obvious that unless
you get an actual VM you cannot say that the end result is pure python as
some features of the language are really hard to get when you are using a
direct translation. Though I am curious as to why there isn't any `full`
python code translator.

--
Sincerely,
Razvan Ghitulete