[pypy-dev] cppyy and callbacks

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Fri Jan 24 18:56:39 CET 2014

Hi Armin,

> I meant specifically the way the interface is to be used by the end
> programmer, ignoring its implementation for now.  This would mean
> moving to more cffi-like idioms: removing the implicit
> ownership-tracking logic, not guessing too hard about which overloaded
> function is meant to be called, and so on

that is all possible, and largely there, just the other way around than:

> --- generally "explicit is
> better than implicit" and if the end programmer needs to expose some
> library in a simpler interface, he can use a Python layer on top of it
> (or write his own).  So this would end up somewhere slightly different
> than where cppyy is currently.

By default, there is memory tracking, auto-casting, overloading, template
instantiation (with cling; partially with cint), etc. And if that is not
desired, a Python layer can be written to do things differently. E.g. to
select a specific overload, use the "__dispatch__" function.

I don't think that that will be workable, though. Maybe I should have
bitten on the "like C++ is an extension of C" comment. :)

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net