[pypy-dev] pypy performance ramp up

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:43:32 CEST 2015

On 03/04/15 00:54, Cheng Chen wrote:
> Hey pypy-devs,
>
> Thanks a lot for you amazing work for pypy!
>
> I have a naive question regarding pypy's performance, I was doing some
> performance testing with pypy, at first i was using a sample size of
> 9000, our script was able to process this batch in 2.8 sec, which
> gives us a rate of 3200/s, which we thought was somewhat slow. Then we
> changed to a sample size of 1 million, the speed was as slow initially
> but soon ramped up and stabilized at around 40k/s which is more than
> enough for us.
>
> I am just curious what cause the performance ramp up, thanks a lot!
>
> Cheng

Hi. Thanks for trying it. Our 'tracing JIT' traces your function and
only after a while decides that that location is "hot" enough to
optimize. We call this the JIT warmup, see
http://pypy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq.html#how-fast-is-pypy.

Also
http://morepypy.blogspot.co.il/2009/03/applying-tracing-jit-to-interpreter.html
for a backrounder from 2009