[pypy-dev] gcc recommendation for pypy 2.5.0

Roshan Cherian cherian.rosh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 05:44:53 CEST 2015

Hi Team,

I am building out the pypy 2.5.0 from source on linux. I built this using
oel 6.3 which has a gcc 4.4.7 and built fine, however with oel 5.6 with a
gcc version 4.1.2, it fails on the creation of libpypy-c.so shared library
with the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: implement.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against
`pypy_asm_stackwalk' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I rechecked that gcc asserts fPIC for position independent code, however it
still fails and I don't have this problem on 4.4.7 gcc. Could I know the
recommended gcc version for building pypy 2.5.0.

I am sorry the recommended approach is to use an older version of pypy to
build the newer version however we have a unique situation in our build
environment where pypy is built using 2.7.5 python. I know this may not be
relevant in this context but thought I should say so.

Thanks in Advance,

-Roshan