[pypy-dev] gcc recommendation for pypy 2.5.0

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Apr 6 09:38:10 CEST 2015

Hi Roshan,

On 6 April 2015 at 05:44, Roshan Cherian <cherian.rosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could I know the
> recommended gcc version for building pypy 2.5.0.

Any version that is not seriously outdated would do.  I guess 4.1 is
too old.  We don't specifically try out every single old version of
gcc so I can't be more precise than that.  If for some reason you
absolutely have to use gcc 4.1, you can probably translate with the
more portable "--gcrootfinder=shadowstack" option at the cost of a
some percents of final performance.

> I am sorry the recommended approach is to use an older version of pypy to
> build the newer version

That's an unrelated question.  You can use either PyPy or CPython to
translate PyPy; it should only change the speed at which it is done.