[pypy-dev] PyPy translation on Xeon Phi (pka MIC)

Ajit Dingankar Ajit.Dingankar at ieee.org
Sat Apr 11 20:00:02 CEST 2015

I tried the translator for BF example on Xeon Phi:
http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2011/04/tutorial-writing-interpreter-with-pypy.html

It failed due to a "safety check" related to asserts at the end of
the translate module. I use CPython v2.7.2 since that's the latest
I could find for the Phi accelerator. I thought I'd try it before
going to the step of cross-compiling a more recent version. (Just
for reference the example works with CPython v2.7.5 on the Xeon
host.)

I tried to search for previous experience with Phi (or MIC) but
could only find this old post on the mailing list:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.pypy/11981
which is mainly about STM but mentions MIC at the very end:
"Still trying to see whether I can get PyPy to run on the MIC. :)"

I'd appreciate any pointers to making PyPy translate work on Phi,
with CPython or PyPy binary itself (if needed, since it may be
hard to get it working on Phi). At least whether Xeon Phi is or
is not a supported platform, and what options there are to support
it, in the latter case).

Thanks,
Ajit
====
PS: For full disclosure, I work for Intel but my day job is related
to hardware, hence posting from my personal account.