[pypy-dev] PyPy translation on Xeon Phi (pka MIC)

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Sat Apr 11 21:16:08 CEST 2015

Ajit,

> I tried to search for previous experience with Phi (or MIC) but
> could only find this old post on the mailing list:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.pypy/11981
> which is mainly about STM but mentions MIC at the very end:
> "Still trying to see whether I can get PyPy to run on the MIC. :)"

That was me. :) Still interested, but rather looking forward to KNL
atm. Single-threaded performance isn't worth it on KNC, and scaling out
with STM wasn't enough by far. Haven't tried since with more recent
PyPy or PyPy-STM. Will try again once we get our hands on KNL.

Now, from your description it sounds to me like you are trying to
translate on the card, rather than translate on the host and then
cross-compile the C output? I never tried the former.

Rather, translate with --gcrootfinder=shadowstack, find the C output
under $TMP, together with a make file to rebuild. Edit that to use icc
and -mmic and see where that gets you. (Things may have changed plenty
since that posting, of course. :P )

Best regards,
            Wim
--