[pypy-dev] PyPy translation on Xeon Phi (pka MIC)

Ajit Dingankar ajit.dingankar at ieee.org
Tue Apr 14 20:54:41 CEST 2015

Sorry about the false alarm re performance! After carefully looking at the numbers from the examples and versions etc, it turns out that the performance on Phi is lower than the host, which is understandable given the power and perf characteristics of single cores. As Wim had mentioned, the value of Phi will be visible if and when we can scale out.
Yury, I meant translated interpreter running on Phi v/s on the Xeon host, not translated v/s something else.
The device id is 0x225d so it looks like it's a Knights Corner 3120A.
Thanks, Ajit====

     On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:24 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury at shurup.com> wrote:

 On Mon, 2015-04-13 at 21:56 +0000, Ajit Dingankar wrote:
> Will post some results on performance; the translated interpreter
> seems much faster on Phi but I don't quite understand why! (Not that
> I'm complaining! ;-)

Translated as compared to what ;-) ?

If you compiled on the host with gcc (especially an older one) and now
comparing this to the cross-compiled version with icc, this will be very
unfair :-) Also, make sure you translate the same revision on both...

I would be curious about recent results, and please be sure to mention
which Phi are you using for this test. I haven't had access to any
recent ones lately...

Thanks,

--
Sincerely yours,