[pypy-dev] v5.3.0 numpy support (specifically numpy/core/src/multiarray/multiarray.c.src)

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 01:15:51 EDT 2016

No, the latest release does not solve this issue. And in a bit more detail:

The latest release supports upstream numpy (mostly) using a C-API
compatibility layer we call cpyext. This is a totally different approach
than using our internal _numpypy module and the python-level code from
bitbucket/pypy/numpy.

While the new approach allows you to use upstream (i.e.
github.com/numpy/numpy) numpy over the latest release of PyPY, the code
will run much slower, and the JIT will not be able to help since it
cannot look inside C code. We have some ideas on how to make this fast,
but they are just ideas right now.

Matti