[py-dev] py.path.fspy / naming

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Fri Oct 15 16:02:16 CEST 2004

Hi Laura,

[Laura Creighton Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 02:24:44PM +0200]
> In a message of Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:54:56 +0200, holger krekel writes:
>
> I appreciate that it is a path on a filesystem, but then I think that
> all paths are on filesystems.  So that it is on a filesystem is not,
> to my mind, ...

Good point to consider.  The current py.path.* are indeed all
filesystem based paths.  But 'fspy' of all paths is actually
more _and_ less than a filesystem path.

On the one hand it is a "python module path" like e.g.
'os.path.abspath' and operations like dirpath() will yield
something like 'os.path'.

On the other hand it always starts from an explicit filesystem
location unlike the python import system which starts
somewhere hard-to-tell.

Consequentely, you inintialize it with both a filesystemish
path and a "python" path, therefore the name 'fspy' to make that
clear.  But you probably are right, that its filesystem-ness
isn't the actual distinguishing feature.

Hum. I guess i need to think some more about this ...

a bientot (i also need to learn some french :-),

    holger