[pytest-dev] Setting up tox

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Thu Apr 17 10:38:52 CEST 2014

On 16 April 2014 22:58, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, what is the answer?
> 1) Install multiple pythons in a single virtualenv, somehow

The multiple python's need to be on the system, system wide installs
are fine.  Personally I use the system provided ones plus, on ubuntu,
the deadsnakes ppa for all other python versions.  On my Debian boxes
I build the other versions from scratch.  But most systems ship with a
2.x and a 3.x version by now which is a good enough start.

> 2) Install tox system-wide, in which case how does it know about my
> development version of py.test? (from current working dir?)

Contrary to Holger I tend to install tox in my system's python using
"pip install -U --user tox" and use that to run the py.test tests.  It
works with the current working dir to find the package under test
indeed, then it packs it up and deploys it in a few virtualenvs it
manages itself.

Hope that helps,
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom