[pytest-dev] Setting up tox

Marc Abramowitz msabramo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 03:17:35 CEST 2014

In order to fix the python3.3 error, you just need to get it so that
"python3.3" works normally from the shell.

First, Python 3.3 needs to be installed. Tox doesn't install the Pythons
for you, like say, pythonbrew. I don't know what distro you're on, but for
Ubuntu, I typically set up the "deadsnakes" PPA (
https://launchpad.net/~fkrull/+archive/deadsnakes) and then I can `sudo
apt-get install python3.3-dev`. The steps look something like this on
Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties  # This is to get
add-apt-repository, which you may or may not already have
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python3.3-dev

Of course, I'm just guessing that you might have Ubuntu because it's
popular. If I'm wrong, the steps will be completely different. If you have
a different distro, you can Google around or maybe post again and maybe
someone else can tell you how they do it.

Also, "python3.3" needs to be in $PATH. Most likely if you install with a
package manager like apt-get or yum, it will be automatically in the $PATH.
It might not be if you build from source.